In Food Technology lessons, pupils get to combine practical and theoretical elements of food including producing products such as cakes, pastas, jam, breads etc. Pupils learn about:
• Classification of food materials, such as starch, sugar, protein, fats etc. – an important skill for keeping a healthy balance in day-to-day life;
• Understanding of the working characteristics of food materials and understanding of the way food components are specified on packaging – e.g. weight and volume;
• Analysing food components available in a variety of forms – e.g. fresh, frozen, liquid etc.;
• Development and understanding of the source of basic foods and the primary processes involved in conversion to workable materials;
• The design process of creating a new product.